Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Guest Writer For September ~ Little*Moonkey

Every month we are doing something new on the blog, called the Guest Writer. In our eBay group we invite one person in for the month, so we can get to know them better, and they can see the "behind the scenes" of how the blog is run. That person then writes one article on the blog for the month that they are in the group. This months Guest Writer was Susan of Little*Moonkey. I have enjoyed getting to know Susan more, and think she is such a sweet person. Here is her article:

I've been doing some reflecting on my first discovery of children's boutique on Ebay & my time selling children's boutique on Ebay. It all started when I had my daughter.
I was doing a search for a strawberry dress for her to wear for a summer portrait. I did my usual search & up came hundreds of dresses in strawberry themes. Out of those hundreds of dresses I found the cutest 'custom made' dress I just HAD to have. I won that dress & when it came in the mail I couldn't believe my eyes at how perfectly made it was. From that point on I was hooked. Several custom boutique sets later from various talented Ebay boutique designers I decided I could... in fact I needed to learn to do this myself.
I had a sewing machine I received as a baby shower gift that was still sitting in the box. I went to my local fabric shop & picked out a simple pattern & got to work... I swear, I didn't leave that sewing machine until my project was completed hours later. The very best part was trying on my 'masterpiece' on my daughter! She was 2 years old at this time.... 4 years later & hundreds of sets later, my favorite part of the whole designing/creating process is trying what I've spent hours creating on my sometime willing & sometimes not so willing daughter.
I started selling my own creations on Ebay after practicing for several months. It became my passion. At this point I was still working p/t as a nurse. A year & a half later I quit my job & did Ebay full time.
I love doing this for so many reasons! I truly do enjoy the whole process. The choosing of the fabrics, the sketching of the design & then creating what I've been thinking up. Then the whole modeling & photo part of it... such fun! I've also really come to enjoy the graphics & listing or the final stage. It's so satisfying seeing the whole thing come together in the end.
I've met so many wonderful people in the boutique community. Boutique sellers & my group mates... friends I will have for life. It's pretty amazing how close I am to these ladies I've never met in real life, people I know who would do anything for me or my children. My buyers... always encouraging... that keeps me going! Receiving kind emails from them, telling me how much their little ones enjoyed wearing the outfits they received. Getting to know many of these sweet Mom's on a personal level has been such a blessing to me. Many share so much in common. When I receive photos of their precious children in a set I made if makes all my hard work so worth it. Thank you so much for making what I do so rewarding.
I never thought in a million years this is what I would end up doing. I truly feel this is what I was meant to do. I am looking forward to taking Little*Moonkey to the next level very soon.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I've really enjoyed getting to know you Susan! You're designs are always so adorable!

Tattered Tulips said...

Wonderful article! I have always enjoyed looking at your designs!

Clara said...

You have beautiful designs, Susan! Great article!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being the Guest Writer Susan! I don't think there is a more fabulous, kind-hearted and giving woman on ebay. If I had a bazillion dollars I for sure would own all of your whimsical and fun creations. XOXO

Susan said...

Thank you all so much!
Your kind words mean the world:)