Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Interview With Helen Of Missy*Lulu


Where were you born and raised? I grew up in a little country called New Zealand, prior to coming to the US, I lived in Sydney, Australia.

Where do you live now? I live in Buckeye, Arizona

How many children do you have? Names and ages? Between my DH and myself we have 4. We have Devin (boy) who is 3 1/2, Malia (girl) who is 2 1/2 (who is my model). I am also a step mom to Sherelle (girl) who is 19, and Jamar (boy) who is 10

What are your hobbies (besides designing and sewing)? I enjoy painting abstract art - although with two toddlers, and sewing orders - one day I'll get to actually do it again ! When I am not sewing, I enjoy going to the park or just enjoying the outdoors with my family

What is your eBay ID? missy*lulu




Do You Have An Etsy Store? I do have an Etsy store - but I don't actively list new designs there as much as I should. Lately however, my group (BijouCo) has been trying to get more listed. I love going on the site - there are some great artists over there. My store's name is missyluluboutique.

How did you come up with your ID, is there a story behind it? We would often called my 2 1/2 year old, Malia - 'missy' and would sing that song 'loo loo skip to my loo' When I was creating my Ebay ID, I wanted something that reminded me of her (after all she was the reason I 'discovered' the boutique world) and came up with missy*lulu - (I didn't want the word 'loo' because that's the bathroom in New Zealand ;) ) Then on Etsy, I wanted to use something similar - so my ID became missyluluboutique.

Are you a member of a design group? How long have you been a member of that group? I am a member of Bijou&Co. We all sell on both Ebay and Etsy. Search term BijouCo. It is such great group of supportive, creative and just overall wonderful ladies ! I have been a member for about 1 1/2 years




How long have you been selling your designs on eBay? I have been selling my designs on Ebay for about 2 1/2 years

What got you started? Ebay is where I discovered the whole 'custom boutique' world. I was pregnant at the time, just browsing anything 'girl' related. I remembered being amazed that people appreciated handcrafted clothing and thought it would be a perfect way to harness my creativity while staying at home with my toddlers.

Have you noticed a change in your designs from when you first started? Most definately ! When I first started, my designs were pretty basic - kind of embarassing really ;) As I learned different design aspects, I started to incorporate them into my work. Now my designs include applique and a bit of whimsy.

What is your inspiration for your designs? I am inspired by so much. There is no one thing that inspires me. I can draw inspiration from the weirdest things too - like I'll see a tree and like the way it is formed - then think that'd make a great pattern on a dress. Or I'll see fabric and design a set around it.

Is there any other designers you admire? Wow - there are so many Ebay designers. I am always amazed at what some create. Designers that come to mind like Bowznstuff (fabulous work) Janea04 (awesome Euro designer), Cocoloka*Boutique (each of her sets are like works of art). I could list many more because there are such great talent out there.

What is your favorite design you have created? I think it was a set that used bright Euro floral fabrics - I called it 'Joy' because it reminded me of Malia and she brings me joy. It included a tiered dress that alternated with fushia and turquoise floral fabrics. It had ruching on the bodice and a peasant top and capri jeans



Who is your favorite fabric designer? I'd have to say either Hilco or Stenzo - I adore them both. They have the most fun patterns and colors.

What is your favorite custom auction on eBay right now? This set from francoise*studio - from her Fall in Stockholm collection. I love the rich fall colors and old world-looking appliques

If you could max out your credit card at one store, what store would that be? Any art gallery in New Zealand ;) I maybe biased but New Zealand has some great local artists. I would love to buy loads of paintings for my house !

I see most of your designs are either Euro patterns, fabric, or have a Euro theme. Has this always been your passion, or is it a new direction you are going? I adore European patterns and my designs just evolved into more of a 'Euro' look. A 'Euro' look lends itself to use bright bold colors and a touch of whimsy - that's basically my design asthetic




Do you have a favorite pattern you tend to use? What about a favorite brand of patterns? Hands down my favorite brand of pattern is Farbenmix - those ladies are so talented ! My favorite pattern would be the 'Cara' dress - it's so versatile !

What can we expect from you in the future? Lots of applique - it's very addictive :) Unexpected mixings of fabrics, colors



Helen is offering Free Shipping for the month of September, if you mention you read her interview on the Boutique Buyers Blog!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

great interview Helen!!! You know I've always admired your designs!!! :)

It's Me: Jennie said...

Fabulous interview Helen! I LOVE your designs...have been so lucky to own several!!!! Love your work!!! I loved getting to know you better as well!!

Jennifer

Susan said...

Oh my goodness...your designs are super sweet and gorgeous!!!

ruth said...

Fabulous interview Helen! I LOVE your designs...have been so lucky to own several!!!! Love your work!!! I loved getting to know you better as well!!
-----------
ruthallen
Car Buyers